Logo
Museum des Kreises Plön
mit norddeutscher Glassammlung

Visitor Guide

About us

     Association

Press

Other Museums in the district

Exhibitions

Collection

Education

Events

Visitor Guide

Short Guide
This guide provides a quick orientation in our Museum. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
 
Room 1: Entrance Hall
In the middle of the Entrance Hall is the only surviving glassmakers'-"Hafen"* from Schleswig- Holstein. It was preserved because it was used as a flower-pot for many decades. Displayed in the glass cabinet are new collection pieces and works by the Preetz porcelain painter Christian Saß (1836 – 1916), as well as other deco-rated porcelain from Schleswig-Holstein. Above the chest from 1806 hangs an oil painting from 1780 by the Berlin painter and Academy Director Christian Bernhard Rode (1725 – 1797), who also painted 16 paintings for the hall of the Neuhaus Estate. To the right of the entrance door you can see a painting of Mayor Johannes Kinder, who researched the history of Plön and in 1910 founded the Museum of Plön. The stone with the cult symbols from Klein Meinsdorf (Ancient Bronze Age; plastercast) and the collection cupboard of the Head Ranger Wilhelm Dittmann right and left of the entrance door lead you into the Pre- and Medieval History sections. * "Hafen": Middle/Southern German for "pot"; the first glass-makers in Schleswig-Holstein originally came from Hesse and Southern Lower Saxony.
 
Room 2: Prehistory
In the display tables you can see finds from the Ancient and Middle Stone Ages. Something special for Schleswig-Holstein is a hand-axe from the time before the last Ice Age discovered near Kalübbe.
The wall display cabinets give explanations about the first Stone Age, the Bronze Age and the Iron Age in the District of Plön. The making and the chronological development of flint tools is shown, there are ceramics from the Stone Age, Bronze weapons and Bronze tools, as well as urns from the graveyards of the Iron Age.
In the middle of the room is a bog-oak tree from 5000 BC (proved with the C14-Method). The tree comes from Klausdorf and shows traces of fire and deep hollows.
A cross-section of the bog-oak tree on the wall (1540 BC, Plön) explains the archaeologically impor-tant dendrochronology.
Between the windows is a stone from Nessendorf with engraved hollows on both sides.
 
Room 3: Medieval History - 19th Century
About 700 AD began the time of the Slavic settlement of our region. In the middle of the room are objects from Olsborg Island in the Great Plön Lake. On this island there was a Slavic fortress called “Plune”*, that was connected to the mainland by a long bridge.
Objects found in further settlements can be seen in the table display cabinets on the left. Finds from the late Slavic time and from the beginning of German settlement of the Futterkamp area are in the window display cabinet.
The wall display cabinet contains objects from Futterkamp from the Middle Ages as well as objects from the 16th – 18th centuries found in Plön in recent years.
*Plune (Slavic): ice-free area; the lake seldom freezes.
The display cabinet in the corridor shows the kitchen of a doll's house from Holstein from around 1900.
 
Room 4: Ceramics
In the garden hall you will find the following exhibits:
Excavated objects of a pottery in Preetz from the 17th to 19th century, ceramic ware for daily use from the Probstei area, Lütjenburg and Plön as well as ceramics with ornaments in fixed colourful reliefs imported from Marburg.
Next to the door of a Probstei house of 1742 is a built-in showcase displaying a majority of clay-glazed earthenware which was imported at a grand scale from Silesia to Schleswig-Holstein at the end of the 19th century.
Above the rural table of the 18th century is a typical board for dishes with everyday ceramics.
Stertpott (low German): Ste(e)rt = tail; Pott = pot
The hollow handle juts out of the pot like a tail. The potter pressed the handle against the outer wall of the pottery piece (usually with two visible fingerprints). These tail pots were used for cooking, for porridge, for milk or to eat from.
On leaving the room in the narrow corridor in front you will find documents of the Royal Prussian Cadet Corps, which educated future officers in the castle from 1868 to 1920.
There are also prospects of the town of Plön and two landscape paintings depicting the nearby area.
 
Staircase
Along the staircase parts from ovens are shown, decorated with scenes of a besieged town, biblical scenes, coats of arms etc. These parts come from Plön burgher houses.
Above them are four paintings by Plön-born artist Friedrich Carl Gröger (1766 – 1838)*, one of the most famous North German portrait painter of his time.
* his birthplace is house Markt 22, behind the church
 
Room 5: Glass Collection
The glass collection consists of "Hüttenfunde" (objects found in former glass works) from Schleswig-Holstein (with a model of a glassmaker's workshop) and glass for daily use which was used during the 18th and 19th century in Schleswig-Holstein.
Since 1575 glassmakers from Hesse and Southern Lower Saxony came to Schleswig-Holstein.
They found the necessary materials - especially beech-wood - here and at the same time the lords of the manors wanted to reduce their forest area to increase their fields. Two glassmaker-families distinguished themselves: the Gundlachs and the Kunckels. One of their members was the famous Johann Kunckel, born in the parish of Plön. He published a book on glass making "Vollkommene Glasmacherkunst" (Perfect Glassmaking) (glass cabinet). A variety of beer bottles from Schleswig-Holstein breweries is shown in the french window.
To the right and left are two glass windows from the Church of St. Nicholas. They are part of a series which came into the church during its rebuilding in 1862 and was removed from it in the nineteen-sixties.
The pub picture with the inscription "Ic hepse bey" points to white and red wine which was drunk out of glasses called "Römer" and "Flöte".
The wall covering from the Rococo period showing a bucolic scene (middle of the 18th century) was originally shown in room 10.
 
Room 6: Court Chemist's Shop
In this room there are parts of the "Plöner Hofapotheke" (court chemist's shop in Plön) still existing with all those vessels of glass and pottery used in the pharmacy. The equipment from about 1840 was in the first floor of this house until 1928. It was used up to the end of the nineteen-sixties in the court chemist's shop which had moved to the market area.
ྺ࿠Rüdiger Articus, Plöner Apothekengeschichte, Plön 1986 (history of the Plön chemist’s shop)
 
 
Room 7: Guilds
Here you can see the tin and silver crockery of the guilds of Plön. It was made by pewterers and goldsmiths from Plön, Preetz, Lütjenburg and Eutin.
There are some more guild arks, two craftsmen's articles and other objects of the guild system.
A model shows the "Morgensprache" which was the assembly of the master craftsmen of one town.
ྺ࿠Folder: "Handwerksaltertümer" (guild antiquities).
 
Room 8: Shoemaker's workshop
Here a shoemaker's workshop from the 19th century and the way shoemakers worked are shown. They loaded their carriages with big wooden boxes as here exhibited, especially the shoemakers from Preetz, and offered their wares at markets from Tondern to Lübeck.
A further workshop is that of the clock-maker Hermann Sievert (1846 – 1898) from Plön, who wrote a manual for clock-makers' apprentices that was translated into many languages.
The hanging display cabinet contains wooden tools for daily use as well as wooden carvings by the farmer Göttsch, Mayor Kinder and by Lisa Lange, who also created the models of the Glassworks and the "Morgensprache".
Metal works are shown in the display cabinet on the wall and the standing display cabinet.
The cast-iron oven from 1761 comes from the Salzau Estate, and the district cash register (second half of the 19th century) from the Plön District Administration.
 
Room 9: Rococo Hall
The Rococo Hall from 1756 is fitted out with only a few showcases; as the hall is also used for cultural events and temporary exhibitions. It is illuminated by a Bohemian chandelier from the middle of the 18th century, which had been hanging in a Danish manor house before.
In front of a recess a chest from the Probstei from 1783 is exhibited and in a table-showcase bobbin-lace-making is illustrated.
 
Room 10: Riflemen's Silver
In the show-case on the wall are shown the silver objects of the Plön rifle club of 1621, which are still used by the rifle club, mostly during the annual shooting match. The oldest object is the bird fixed to the big Royal shield. Bequests from the ducal time give evidence of the Duke's connection to the club.
Also shown is a diminished replica of the wooden marksmen's bird, a list of the club champions and the champion marksmen, the crescent and the chest of the club from the 19th century.
A video can be seen in this room giving infor-mation on glass manufacturing and there is a collection of local pottery found in Holstein lakes.
ྺ࿠Folder: "Die Plöner Schützengilde" (Plön's rifle club).
 
 
(Text translated by students of the Plön Volkshochschule)

2011, Copyright Museum des Kreises Plön, Johannisstraße 1, 24306 Plön                          Kontakt + Impressum         Datenschutz         Sitemap